Americus Times-Recorder, Americus, Georgia

Local Columnists

May 30, 2014

Alan Anderson: Historic tidbits — January-November 1968

AMERICUS — Jan. 10, 1968:  “Bo Sullivan has resumed his studies at Abraham Baldwin College, Tifton after spending the holidays with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Will Connor Sullivan.  He had as his guest ... his roommate, Ronnie Chambers of Columbus.”

Jan. 16, 1968:  “Negro Funeral Director Dies – Jiles Smith, 76, 727 N. Lee St., well known Americus Negro Funeral Home Director and realtor, died Monday [Jan. 15] at 10:55 p.m. … Smith was a native of Stewart County but had lived in Americus for the past 55 years.  He was a member and a steward at Campbell AME Church … ”

Jan. 17, 1968:  “GASOLINE BLAST RIPS THROUGH STATION – Pre-Dawn Explosion and Fire Destroys Lamar St. Oil Firm - … ” accidental explosion destroyed gas station at 402 W. Lamar (southwest corner Hampton and Lamar), with photograph

Feb. 19, 1968:  “Bo Sullivan, student at ABAC, Tifton, spent the weekend with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Will Connor Sullivan, coming for homecoming festivities at Georgia Southwestern College.”

Feb. 23, 1968:  “Ann's Antics - ... IN BLUE BOOK - The editor of Royal Blue Book sent me a notice that the name of Virginia Bass (Mrs. William Walter) Daniel of Kenosha, Wisconsin, would appear in the Coronation edition of the international register ... Mrs. Daniel is a member of the Kenosha DAR and is active in the Methodist church and WSCS of that city. She is the daughter of Mrs. O.S. Bass, Sr., of Americus.”

Feb. 26, 1968:  “BIRTHS - Mr. and Mrs. Thomas J. Gunn of Atlanta formerly of Americus, announce the birth of a 7-pound, 8 ounce son February 21, at Georgia Baptist Hospital in Atlanta.  Grandparents of the baby, who has been named Thomas Joyner Gunn, Jr., are Mr. and Mrs. Clifton D. Scott of this city and Mrs. Mildred Lawless of Montezuma and the late Samuel C. Gunn of Americus.”;  Jimmie Bass, O.S. Bass, et. al., pallbearers at funeral of Kirby Howard Hardin, died Feb. 23rd, age 59;  “Ellaville News - Mrs. John Hugh Robinson recently attended the funeral of her nephew, Dr. Charles Mangan, Sr. in Macon.  She joined a niece, Miss Elizabeth Hancock, of Perry for the trip to Macon.”

Feb. 28, 1968:  “Graveside rites for Lewis Edwin Giddings, 72, 408 Jones Dr., who died unexpectedly Tuesday [Feb. 27th] at his residence, are planned ... from Sunset Memorial Gardens. Mr. Giddings, a retired accountant, was a lifelong resident of Americus. He was the son of the late Charles F. Giddings and Mrs. Nannie Sue Daniel Giddings and was a member of First Methodist Church. Survivors include one brother, Wilbur Giddings, and a sister-in-law, Mrs. Marvin Giddings both of Americus; also several nieces and nephews ... ”

Feb. 29, 1968:  Johnny Rushin, Judson Rushin, Garrett Purvis, et. al., pallbearers at funeral of L.E. Giddings

March 8, 1968:  “FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH – Presbyterian Church Organized Here in 1842 – Records reveal that “On June 19, 1842 a group of earnest Christian people met and organized the First Presbyterian Church of Americus.  This group was composed of George M. Dudley and his wife, Caroline; H.K. McCay and his wife, Catherine, Eleanor Gibson, Mary McCay, William J. Patterson, Mary Lynes and Rebecca Daniel.” Nine years later a lot was purchased at a spot which is now on Forsyth Street between Farr Appliance Co., and Frank Stein’s store. Here a church was erected … ”

March 12, 1968:  “OBITUARIES - Word has been received here by Mrs. Luther Glaze, Sr. ... of the accidental death of her stepson, Liston Glaze, 63, last Sunday [March 10th] in  Miami ... Mr. Glaze, a native of Sumter County, resided at Leslie before moving to Miami in 1923.  He was the son of the late Luther Glaze and Vivia Tinsley Glaze ... ”

March 15, 1968:  “Shiloh Baptist Church Constituted in 1853 – Shiloh Baptist Church, located some eight miles northwest of Americus, was constituted in 1853 as far as records of the church can be verified … ”;  “City Will Abandon Old Cemetery Here – To Transfer Bodies – East Forsyth Street Cemetery, a burial site that had its beginnings during the early settlement of Americus in the 1840s and which has not been in use for the last two decades, will be abandoned for that purpose and the remains of all persons buried there transferred to a special section of Oak Grove Cemetery … ”;  Council proposed removal of graves at pioneer cemetery [northeast corner Forsyth and Prince] to Oak Grove and replacement by new city hall at the site, provoking a firestorm of criticism and culminating in Federated Garden Clubs' establishment of Founders' Memorial Park

March 22, 1968:  “Lee Street Methodist Organized Here In 1915 – In 1915, Bishop Kilgo, Episcopal leader of the Methodist Episcopal Church South in Georgia, appointed the Rev. A.W. Quillian Jr., to serve a new congregation of Methodists in Americus … ”  photograph “LEE STREET METHODIST CHURCH”

March 25, 1968:  “ ...Mr. and Mrs. Quention James and family of Orlando, Fla., spent the  weekend with Mr. and Mrs. George Worthy and Mrs. O.S. Bass Sr.  Also here to visit Mrs. Bass and the Worthys Sunday were Mrs. J.L. Snider and Jimmy Snider of Atlanta ...”

April 3,1968:  “Mrs. Julia Sutton is undergoing treatment at the Americus and Sumter County Hospital.  She is in room 125.”

April 5,1968:  “Pleasant Grove Church Was Organized in 1859 - … was first organized in the fall of 1859 by L.B. Deavours in a little house about six miles east of Americus. The first deacons of this little church were George Harris, James Holman and Julius Hogue. The number of members that constituted this church is unknown but believed to be very small … ”  with photograph

April 7,1968:  history and photograph of Calvary Episcopal Church

April 12, 1968:  Thomas Blount and Eddie J. McGrady became first blacks appointed to Americus City School Board in its 95-year history;  “Episcopal Church In City 110 Years Old – The Episcopal Church in Americus had its beginning 110 Years Old - … then Bishop of Georgia, the Rt. Rev. Stephen Elliott, met with a small group on April 14, 1858, and designated it as St. John’s Episcopal Church … ”  with photograph

April 16, 1968:  “Mrs. Tamzie Robbins of Columbus, a former Americus resident, is undergoing treatment for a broken leg at the Medical Center in Columbus.  She is in room 314.”;  Americus voters vetoed school bond issue, first time in the system's 95-year history [did it again, by only 5 votes, in June 1968]

April 19, 1968:  “Mrs. Jean R. Holland and children, Jean, Johnny and Robert of Savannah, are spending the weekend with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Jimmie Bass.”; history and photo graph of Plains Methodist Church

April 26, 1968:  architect's rendering of new GSW girls' dormitory, construction to begin  next week and be completed by Aug. 1969; “Mrs. Tamzie Robbins has been moved from the Medical Center to the Pine Manor Convalescent Home at Warm Springs Road, Columbus, where she is recovering from a broken leg.”; “First Baptist Church Was Constituted In 1834 Here - … had affiliation with the newly organized Bethel Association. In 1884 the building was burned and the church records to January 6, 1869 were consumed in the conflagration … ” with photograph

May 3, 1968:  “Local Assembly of God Church Began in 1945 - … was organized only twenty-three years ago in the summer of 1945 … Raymond D. Jones was the first pastor … first services were held for a few months in a tent on Felder Street … ”  with photograph

May 10, 1968:  “Friendship Baptist Organized in 1839 - … This church was formerly a part of The Liberty Baptist Church located in what was then called Stewart County. James S. Lunsford (pastor), James Matthews and Joseph King formed the presbytery. John R.T. Lingo was appointed clerk James Stafford and James McGarrah were asked to establish the constitution of the Church … ”  with photograph

May 17, 1968:  “Leslie Methodist Church Organized in A School – In 1890, Mr. J.W. Bailey brought interested people of the Leslie area together and organized a church in an existing one-room school house … ”  with photograph

May 22, 1968:  voters approved popular election of Sumter County School Board with appointed superintendent

May 27, 1968:  “Mr. and Mrs. Randy Jones and Misses Georgia Sullivan and Jerry Kinnebrew spent Sunday in Athens with Randy Jones Jr., going up for Parents' Day at the Alpha Kappa fraternity house.”

May 31, 1968:  “Seventh-Day Adventists Began Meetings in 1967 – Seventh-day Adventists had only three members in Americus until August 1967 … The Adventists are presently meeting at the Americus Evangelistic Church, on Tripp Street … A two and half acre tract, located on South Lee Street Road and cornering on Murphy’s Mill Road, is the site for the new church … ”  with sketch;   “OBITUARIES - Funeral services for Cary Ballard Smith, 45, of Spartanburg, S.C., who was killed in a highway accident ... [May 27th] at South Boston, Va. ... were held in Spartanburg ... Mrs. Smith is the former Ann Giddings of Americus ... Wilbur Giddings of Americus was the father-in-law of Mr. Smith.”

June 7, 1968:  “Plains Baptist Church Constituted in 1848 – The Plains Baptist Church was constituted as The Baptist Church of Christ at Lebanon, Dec. 1, 1848 by Elders Francis Seig and John U. Fletcher, Presbytery … ”  with photograph

June 25, 1968:  “Mr. and Mrs. Bob Bass, and children, Jamie and Hugh, of Charlotte, N.C., spent several days last week with his parents here enroute home after a trip to Texas where they visited relatives and also the Hemisfair at San Antonio.”; “Sgt. Maj. and Mrs. A. M. Anderson and children, Alan and Mary Jo have moved to 408 Valley Dr. which they have purchased. Another son, David, remained in Tampa where he is working during the summer. Sgt. Maj. Anderson is stationed at MacDill AFB, Fla. and plans to retire next year. Mrs. Anderson is the former Edna Purvis of Americus.”

June 27, 1968:  announcement of $1,063,000 HUD grant for public housing project and urban renewal of 49.2 acres [bounded north by Patterson and Price, east and south by railroad and west by Jackson]

June 28, 1968: “First Methodist Church Began 133 Years Ago Here – In the year of 1835 Rev. Jonathan Edwards, Methodist Circuit Rider, organized the first Church of the Methodist Denomination in Americus … The present church building occupies the site adjoining the original lot, or rather is a part of it … ”  with photograph

July 12, 1968:  “Bethel Baptist Church To Observe Centennial – The Bethel Baptist Church will celebrate its Centennial Sunday, July 28, in a modern, air conditioned, brick veneer building. This will be quite a contrast to the first services which were held in a one-room building built in the Reconstruction Days following the Civil War … ”

July  19, 1968:  “DeSoto Baptist Church  Was Organized in 1891 – The DeSoto Baptist Church was organized February 19, 1891 under the leadership of Brothers Moore and Walters, and services were held in the school building or Academy as it was called … ”

July  25, 1968:  “Bo Sullivan, who is attending summer school at ABAC … and Mike Bosnich of Tifton, spent last weekend with the former’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Will Connor Sullivan.”

July  26, 1968:  “St. Andrew’s Lutheran To Observe 98th Anniversary - … The Church’s first pastor, Rev. John P. Margot, wrote in his diary:  “Enter upon my duties on the third Sunday in March 1870; and on the first Sunday in May organized a congregation … ”

Aug. 1, 1968:  “Commander James W. Griffin and children, Michael, Mary Kay, Margaret and Matthew of Norfolk, Va., left yesterday after visiting her grandmother, Mrs. George S. Cobb.  Before returning to Norfolk the Griffins will visit the commander’s brother, Cornelius Griffin in Mobile, Ala., and then go to Jacksonville, Fla., to visit his mother, Mrs. J.C. Griffin Sr., his sister, Mrs. R.C. Luten, and brother, George C. Griffin.”

Aug. 6, 1968:  “Logan Park Dedicated To Late Plains Doctor – A town park newly beautified by two local garden clubs has been dedicated to the memory of the late Dr. J.C. Logan, who died in 1965 after having practiced medicine here for almost 58 years … ”  with photograph

Aug.  9, 1968:  “Cornelius J. Griffin and daughter, Beth, have returned to Mobile, Ala., after a visit with his grandmother, Mrs. George S. Cobb.”:  history and photograph of  Ellaville Baptist Church

Aug. 20,1968:  publication of Aug. 14, 1868 copy of “Sumter Republican”

 Sept.  4,1968:  obituary of George Anderson Worthy, died Sept. 4th, age 51, widow Mrs. Mary Emily Bass Worthy

Sept.  5,1968:  funeral of George A. Worthy

Sept.  6,1968:  “Salem Methodist Was Organized In 1836 – The Salem Methodist Church, located approximately five miles East of Americus in the New Era Community, was organized in 1836 by some families of very fine people moving here from Robinson County, North Carolina … We regret that the only two heads of these families available to us are Malcholm McNeill and Zach Bailey … ”

Sept.  7,1968:  “Mrs. Gladys Giddings is undergoing treatment for a broken elbow at the Americus and Sumter County Hospital.”

Sept.  9,1968:  Trinity Baptist Church constituted, Rev. Woodrow C. Davis, pastor;  first anniversary of Americus Alcoholics Anonymous Chapter, meeting twice monthly at Calvary Episcopal Church;  Rushin-Haynes wedding Sept. 7th

Sept. 12,1968:  “Among the out-of-town relatives and friends attending the funeral of George Worthy were:  Mr. and Mrs. Quention James and family of Orlando, Fla.;  Mr. and Mrs. Theo Bass, Mrs. Jean Holland … of Savannah;  Mr. and Mrs. Jimmie Lowe Snider … of Atlanta;  … Dr. W.W. Daniel Jr. of Rochester, Minnesota; … Mr. O.S. Bass III of Columbus … ”

Sept. 13,1968:  “Cheek Memorial Baptist Began As Mission Here – Cheek Memorial Baptist Church began as Friendship Baptist Mission in 1953, composed of Mr. J.D. Fulghum and Mr. W.F. Cheek … Sunday School was held in a house located on Tripp Street … ”

Sept. 18,1968:  “Miss Susan Branch of Tifton and Bo Sullivan, student at ABAC, spent last weekend with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Will C. Sullivan III.”

Sept. 20,1968:  “Leslie Baptist Church Was Organized in 1892 – On November 13,1892, just nine years after the settling of Leslie, members of several small churches in the area, in chiding New Hope Baptist Church, met at Leslie Academy (the town’s one room schoolhouse) for the purpose of organizing a Baptist Church in the town of Leslie … ”

Sept. 27,1968:  “Miss Marie Guerry, who has been secretary at the First Baptist Church for 22 years and is leaving tomorrow for Atlanta to make her home with her niece, Mrs. Ruth Thornton, was honored by the church … ”;  “Mr. and Mrs. Will Connor Sullivan, Mrs. Merritt Shiver and Miss Eva Shiver will go to Atlanta tomorrow for the Tech-Miami football game.”

Sept. 30, 1968:  photograph of Miss Marie Guerry receiving gift from Dr. Harold Collins, First Baptist pastor;  “Bo Sullivan … spent the weekend with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Will Connor Sullivan, going to Athens Saturday for the Georgia – Clemson game.”

Oct. 9, 1968:  “ARCHITECT’S DRAWING OF NEW SOUTHWESTERN BUILDING - $900,000 New GSC Science Building Set - … ”

Oct. 15, 1968:  “Miss Nan Gunn, a former Americus resident and daughter of Mrs. Mildred Gunn and Sidney Lawless of Montezuma, has recently been elected treasurer of the Rexall Federal Credit Union in East Point, Ga. She has been employed for the past 20 months as supervisor of Data Processing for United Wholesale Druggists at East Point.”

Oct. 18, 1968:  “Central Baptist Church Organized 71 Years Ago – On February 21,1897 at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. R.M. Stewart, on the corner of Brown and Church Streets, a group of forty-three Baptists met for the purpose of considering the organization of another Baptist Church in Americus … ”  [completed in T-R 10-19-68]

Oct. 25, 1968: “OBITUARIES – SGT. MAJ. ANDERSON – Army Sgt. Major Alfred M. Anderson, 46, of Americus, who was stationed at MacDill Field, Tampa, Fla., died unexpectedly there yesterday.  He was a native of Scotland. Survivors include his wife, Mrs. Edna Purvis Anderson, 408 Valley Dr., Americus;  two sons, David Anderson, Fort Benning and Alan Anderson, Americus;  one daughter, Mary Jo Anderson, Americus … The interment will be at Andersonville [National] Cemetery.”

Oct. 26, 1968:  “Funeral services for Army Sgt. Maj. Alfred M. Anderson … are planned … from Rees Park Chapel here with Rev. Ramus Freeman officiating.  Burial will be in Andersonville National Cemetery with full military rites … The army sergeant was due for discharge within the next year after 26 years of service and planned to make Americus his home.  He was the brother-in-law of Mrs. Jimmie Bass, of Americus … ”

Nov. 6, 1968:  “A. Cohen and Sons’ 100th anniversary, with photographs;  Jimmie Bass, et. al., pallbearers at funeral of Mrs. Susie Morrell Davidson, died Nov. 4th, age 65

 

Alan Anderson, archivist of the Sumter Historic Trust, lives in Americus.

1
Text Only
Local Columnists
House Ads
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide
More
Weather Radar