Americus Fire and Emergency Services
• Firefighters responded to what was dispatched as a tree across the road on East Jefferson Street. Upon arrival Americus Police were already on scene. Firefighters observed a large tree across the road that had brought down power lines, then they cleared bystanders away from roadway and down power lines. Firefighters stood by until Georgia Power arrived on scene. Georgia Power personnel advised line was dead. Firefighters cut up tree and cleared roadway.
• Firefighters responded to a false alarm on East Forsyth Street.
• Firefighters assisted EMS on Barbara Battle Way, Bessie May Circle, Brinson Street, Davenport Street, Eastview Circle, Hosanna Circle, Knollwood Street, McCoy Street, Montgomery Street, Ridge Street, Sun Valley Drive, Virginia Avenue and West Glessner Street.
• Firefighters responded to a short circuit on East Jefferson Street and smoke in structure. Upon arrival, firefighters investigated and made contact with occupant, who advised that her panel box was smoking and made a loud sound. Firefighters found some tripped breakers and checked all areas of the structure and found no other hazards.
• Firefighters were dispatched to a tree which had fallen across a road on Laudig Lane. Upon arrival firefighters found the tree in the road with power line down around it. Firefighters called for assistance from Georgia Power. Firefighters assisted public works with removal of the tree.
Americus Police Department
• Roy Lowe, 48, of 189 Lexington Circle, Americus is charged with disorderly conduct, and was jailed.
• Adrian D. Shelton, 34, of 105 S. Village Drive Americus is charged with parole violation, and was jailed.
• Harry C. Wilson, 27, of 60 Sandpiper Lane, Andersonville is charged with DUI, driving while licensed is suspended and failure to maintain lane, and was released on bond.
• Entering an auto was reported on McCoy Street where a burgundy and black MIO GPS navigation device worth $100 was reported taken.
• Criminal trespass was reported on Hanson Drive, Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, South Dudley Street and West Furlow Street.
• Forgeries were reported at Bozeman Circle, Burger King on East Lamar Street, Finn Street, and at Flash Foods on Crawford Street.
• Harassing phone calls were reported on Magnolia Street and South Lee Street.
• Theft by taking was reported on Sun Valley Drive where a Georgia vehicle tag was reported taken.
• Traffic accidents were reported at Chevron Food Mart on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and Krystal’s on Tripp Street, and the intersection of West Church and South Jackson streets.
• Entering an auto was reported on Norris Street where a bag of tools was reported taken.
• Theft by taking was reported at Radio Shack on East Forsyth Street where a Sony 3” flat-panel TV worth $350 was reported taken.
• Theft by shoplifting was reported at Family Dollar on U.S. Highway 19.
• Terroristic threats were reported at Sumter Bank and Trust on East Lamar Street.
• Suicide threats were reported on McCoy Street.
• A single-vehicle traffic accident was reported at the intersection of East College and Barlow streets.
• Burglary and criminal damage were reported on Elm Avenue.
• Simple battery was reported at Sparks Community Health Care Center on Maxwell Street.
• Theft by taking was reported on Hosanna Circle where a pair of blue and white Fila shoes. size 9.5, were reportedly taken.
• Entering an auto was reported on Sharon Circle where a Sony CD player and radio with a silver knob worth $125 was reported taken.
• A possible forgery was reported at Pure Foods on Tripp Street.
• Burglary was reported on Knollwood Drive where $60 in cash, a DOCO debit card, two birth certificates, a black leather purse, three Social Security cards and a Georgia identification card were reported taken.
• Aggravated assault was reported on Bessie Mays Circle.
• Entering an auto was reported on North Mayo Street where a brown rusty crow bar and a small ACE pad lock were reported taken.
• Entering an auto was reported on Belinda Circle.
• Second-degree criminal damage was reported on Parker Street.
• A gasoline drive-off was reported at Chevron Food Mart II on East Lamar Street.
• Theft by taking was reported on Russell Street where a herringbone necklace and a gold necklace with a diamond pendant were reported taken.
• Theft by taking was reported on Cherokee Street where a maroon Uniflame portable grill worth $25 was reported taken.
• Suspicious people were reported on Brinson Drive and 2nd Montgomery Street.
• A domestic disturbance was reported on Lonnie Lane.
• A prowler was reported on North Lee Street.
• Simple battery and cruelty to children were reported on Sunny Dale Circle.
• Theft by shoplifting was reported at Chevron Food Mart on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard where two cans of Colt 45 beer worth $1.39 each were reported taken.
• Disorderly conduct was reported on Hanson Drive.
• Entering an auto and theft by taking were reported on East Church Street where $320 in cash, a Wells Fargo debit card, a Wells Fargo credit card, a Georgia EBT card and a Social Security card were taken.
• A hit and run accident was reported at Harvey's Supermarket on Prince Street.
Plains Police Department
• Leon W. Hayes, 31, of 704 Fulton St., Americus is charged with DUI, driving while unlicensed and open container, and was released on bond.
Sumter County Fire Department
• A wild land fire was reported at Ga. Highway 27 East and Dixie Hills.
• A debris fire was reported on Heath Goodin Road.
• Firefighters assisted EMS on Leslie Lamar Road, Quail Drive, Freeman Avenue and Bear Branch Road.
• A controlled burn was reported at Ga. Highway 27 East and Poole Gin House Road.
• A kitchen fire was reported on Pearl Drive.
Sumter County Sheriff’s Office
• Nicholas A. Mathis, 25, of 216-A Horton Drive, Americus is charged with driving while unlicensed, and was released on bond.
• Beverly Walton, 47, of 242-A S. Dudley St., Americus is charged with seat belt violation, open container and purchase or possession of controlled substance, and was jailed.
• Byron Williams, 48, of 130 Rainbow Terrace, Americus is charged with aggravated assault, and was jailed.
• Fabian L. James, 30, of 808 Tallent Store Road, Americus is charged with possession of marijuana, driving while license is suspended or revoked and window, windshield or wiper violation, and was jailed.
• A juvenile problem was reported on Daisy Drive.
• Theft was reported on Ellaville Street.
• A suspicious person was reported on Mockingbird Drive.
• A domestic disturbance was reported on Ga. Highway 49 South.
• A suspicious person was reported on Roy Circle.
• Fraud was reported on Sherwood Drive.
• Speeding was reported on Watermelon Road.
• Deputies responded to alarms on Old Hooks Mill Road, Ga. Highway 308, Felder Street, Bumphead Road, Ga. Highway 49 North, Deerfield Drive and Mason Drive.
• Damage to property was reported on Greystone Drive, Easy Street and Flintside Drive.
• Livestock in road was reported on Lamar Road and Bumphead Road.
• Theft was reported on Ga. Highway 27 East and Ga. Highway 195 North.
• A fight was reported on Rainbow Terrace.
• A domestic disturbance was reported on U.S. Highway 280 East.
• Loud music was reported on Foster Street.
• Theft was reported on Old Plains Highway.
• Safety belt violation was reported on U.S. Highway 19 South, Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, Georgia Avenue, Glessner Street and Winder Street.
Americus Fire and Emergency Services
- Area Beat
- Area Beat: March 2, 2014
- Area Beat: February 16, 2014
- Area Beat: February 12, 2014
- Area Beat: February 9, 2014
- Area Beat: February 2, 2014
- Area Beat: January 26, 2014
- Area Beat: January 19, 2014
- Area Beat: January 15, 2014
- Area Beat: January 5, 2014
- Area Beat: December 25,2013
- More Area Beat Headlines