AMERICUS — The Top Authority Leadership Group of Sumter County Middle School recently had a visit from Sgt. Trell Merritt of the Ga. National Guard Unit of Americus where he talked to the club members about leadership skills, future goals, the armed forces and being a positive role model for their peers. Shown with Merritt are eighth-grade club members Atreu Reliford and Michael Carter.
- Local News
- Food Lion holds Grand Opening Wednesday
- Sumter Co. Deputy Arrested for Possession of cocaine,marijuana
- Relay is major fund raiser of American Cancer Society
Phoebe Sumter employee to retire after five decades
The year was 1964. Lyndon B. Johnson was president of the United States and trying to navigate the country through the Vietnam War. Muhammad Ali was then known as Cassius Clay and would defeat Sonny Liston for the Heavyweight Championship of the World, and a group from across the pond known as the Beatles would make their historic debut on the Ed Sullivan Show. Postage stamps were 5 cents, gas was 30 cents a gallon and the average income per year was $6,000.
The year 1964 was also the year Yvonne Goggins, a native of Michigan, moved to South Georgia and took a job at the local hospital in Americus.
- City Council to choose head hunter for new police chief search
- Pennymon finishes Boston Marathon
- Southland C-Team Cheerleaders
- Southland Varsity Cheerleaders
- Candidates address issues at Democratic Forum
- Matthew Ledger headed to U.S. Naval Academy
- More Local News Headlines