A public hearing regarding the denial of an alcoholic beverage license was held at the end of Tuesday’s work session of the Sumter County Board of Commissioners.
Local attorney Bill Murray represented Sohail Amjad Khah, owner of One Stop Inc. (Double D Fast Food).
Murray’s basic premise is that Khah should have the right to have an alcoholic beverage license. Murray said that District Attorney Plez Hardin has assured him that all charges of gambling machines and selling alcohol to underage people were to be dropped.
County Attorney Bill NeSmith disagreed, saying that he has not been notified of any such arrangement.
District Attorney Plez Hardin told the Times-Recorder that his office has no jurisdiction over alcohol cases.
The public hearing will be continued at the 6 p.m. Tuesday regular meeting of the Board of Commissioners.
The Board decided to put the following items on the consent agenda for Tuesday’s meeting.
• Request for the Fire Chief to be empowered to enter into automatic aid or mutual aid with other fire departments.
• Approval of surplus equipment: a Kodak Easy Share Camera from the Sumter County Board of Commissioners Office and a 2002 Ford Crown Victoria from the Sumter County Fire Department, “part of the clean-up,” according to Bill Twomey, County administrator.
• Approval of amendment of Educational Incentive Policy to include additional language for the National Board on Fire Service Professional qualifications.
• Approval of a request to fill a vacant position of court clerk in the Clerk of Courts Department. The beginning pay grade is $20,939.92.
The rules were suspended on two items and were immediately approved by the Board:
• Approval to award the bid for the 2012 CDBG project (if funded) to Hofstadter and Associates due to James Littlefield and Associates not having enough time to perform the services requested of the grant.
• Approval of the acceptance of the Fiscal Year 2011 Homeland Security Grant Program/Citizens Corps Program from the Department of Homeland Security in the amount of $8,000.