AMERICUS — Public hearings: The Sumter County Board of Education will hold public hearings regarding the closure of Cherokee Elementary School will be held at 6 p.m. today at Cherokee Elementary School, 300 Cherokee St., and 6 p.m. Feb. 28 at the Sumter County Board of Education Board Room, 100 Learning Lane. The public is welcome to attend.
- Local News
- Man bearing cross takes annual trek
- Relay is major fund raiser of American Cancer Society
Phoebe Sumter employee to retire after five decades
The year was 1964. Lyndon B. Johnson was president of the United States and trying to navigate the country through the Vietnam War. Muhammad Ali was then known as Cassius Clay and would defeat Sonny Liston for the Heavyweight Championship of the World, and a group from across the pond known as the Beatles would make their historic debut on the Ed Sullivan Show. Postage stamps were 5 cents, gas was 30 cents a gallon and the average income per year was $6,000.
The year 1964 was also the year Yvonne Goggins, a native of Michigan, moved to South Georgia and took a job at the local hospital in Americus.
- Local church decorates to show support for Ukrainians
- City Council to choose head hunter for new police chief search
New Financial Aid director named at South Georgia Tech
Carrie Ann Wilder of Ellaville has been named Financial Aid director at South Georgia Technical College (SGTC), announced President Sparky Reeves. Her appointment was effective April 1.
- Flood watch extended through Saturday afternoon for Sumter and Schley counties
- Sumter and Schley counties under flood watch
- Arts in Rees Park is April 26
- City to continue search for police chief
- More Local News Headlines