AMERICUS — Americus had some special visitors this afternoon as Georgia Governor Nathan Deal and Georgia’s First Lady Sandra Deal stopped by South Georgia Technical College for a Community Roundtable Discussion. The Governor spoke about the HOPE scholarship and the growing number of jobs in the state before listening to success stories from local students and business owners. See Friday’s edition of the ATR for the full story from the Governor’s visit to Sumter County.
- Local News
This is just a portion of the items found in the execution of search warrants in the entering auto investigation. For more information, contact the Americus Police Department at 229-924-3677.
Arrests made in thefts from autos
The Americus Police Department issued a press release Wednesday concerning arrests made in several entering auto cases.
- Bystander shot in theft attempt
- Sumter BOE approves superintendent’s contract 5-3
- Michael Myers named to President's Honor Roll at UNG
- Shorter University announces Dean’s List for Spring 2014
- Arrests made in thefts from autos
- Local Sports
GSW men's basketball adds South Carolina transfer Damien Leonard
Georgia Southwestern State University head men's basketball coach Mike Leeder announced the addition of Damien Leonard, a 6-foot-4, 190-pound guard, to the Hurricane roster for the 2014-15 season. Leonard comes to GSW after spending two years at Southeastern Conference member the University of South Carolina, appearing in 58 games over the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons.
- Former NFL coach speaks to Americus-Sumter students
- Jets add Richmond Academy’s Roberts
- Russ signs with GSW women's basketball
- Schley County’s Corbin signs to play football at Point University
- GSW men's basketball adds South Carolina transfer Damien Leonard
- Your Community FYI
- On Campus
- Area Beat
- Local Columnists
- Real estate transactions
- Steppin’ Out
- Marriages / Divorces
- Church Briefs