Area beat: Oct. 7, 2017
Published 11:27 am Monday, October 9, 2017
Americus Fire & Emergency Services
(Sept. 29-Oct. 4)
• Firefighters responded to 18 calls for medical assistance.
• Firefighters responded to a vehicle fire on Tripp Street. Smoke was coming out from underneath the vehicle’s hood upon arrival. They disconnected the battery and saturated the insulation. Driver was advised to have the vehicle towed.
• Firefighters responded to Eastview Apartments to a report of a gas odor. No gas hazards were found.
• Firefighters responded to Sharon Drive to an EMS call. They found a man who was not sick or need medical attention but wanted to locate his son. The scene was turned over to Americus Police Department.
• Firefighters responded to Melody Lane at the request of an occupant to have her smoke detectors checked.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident at Taylor and Horne streets.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident at Adderton Street and Armory Drive.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident on North Jackson Street.
• Firefighters were leaving one call and while heading back to the station they noticed a burn pile in the back yard of a residence on North Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. The city’s code enforcement officer arrived about the same time. The occupant was informed of the city’s no-burn policy and they left the scene with code enforcement and the Americus Police Department.
Sumter County Fire & Rescue
The departments received some 50 calls weather-related calls for utility lines down, trees down etc. due to tropical storm Irma Sept. 11-12.
(Sept. 5-Oct. 2)
• Firefighters responded to eight calls for medical assistance.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident on Ga. Highway 49 North.
• Firefighters responded to a vehicle fire at U.S. Highway 19 South and Three Bridges Road.
• Firefighters responded to Federal Street in Leslie to a traffic accident.
• Firefighters responded to a grass fire at Salters Mill and Thomas Mill roads.
• Firefighters responded to a tree limb arcing a utility line on Bagley Street.
• Firefighters responded to Barnes Road to a report of a tree limb arcing a power line.
• Firefighters responded to a tree down on Lamar Road.
Americus Police Department
Arrests (Aug. 24-31)
• Christopher J. Coogle Jr., 21, of 110 Magnolia Road, Americus; aggravated assault (Domestic Violence Act), first-degree criminal damage to property, obstruction of police officer, possession of firearm during commission of a crime, and criminal interference with government property; jailed.
• Joshua A. Cook, 24, of 317 Huntington Road, Americus; DUI.
• Kinte R. Edge, 27, of 104-A Ron Circle, Americus; felony aggravated battery; jailed.
• John E. Harvey, 51, of 138 N. Village Drive, Americus; disorderly conduct; jailed.
• Quandarius K. Hayes, 17, of 2000 Roney St., Americus; criminal trespass; jailed.
• Vontavious Q. Hunter, 23, of 733 N. Lee St., Americus; misdemeanor failure to appear in court on finger printable charge; jailed.
• Brittany N. Ingram, 25, of 117 Ashby St., Americus; cracked windshield and violating license restrictions.
• Lewis E. Mack, 21, of 104 Patterson St., Americus; simple battery (Family Violence Act); jailed.
• Gwendolyn Thomas, 55, of 806 N. Lee St., Americus; inoculation//registration/tagging of animals, and restraint of dogs and prohibition against nuisances.
• Tasnesha S. Thomas of 260-B Lonnie Lane, Americus; aggravated assault (knife/cutting tool); jailed.
Georgia Southwestern State University Campus Safety
Arrest (Aug. 28)
• Cameron L. Fontaine, 19, of Cordele; underage consumption of alcohol and disorderly conduct; jailed.