Several races develop
Published 10:34 am Monday, March 12, 2018
By Beth Alston
AMERICUS — Qualifying was held this week for the May 22 primary election.
The following local candidates qualified.
• Sumter County Commissioner District 2: Mark Waddell (incumbent)
• Sumter County Commissioners District 4: Randy Howard Sr. (incumbent) and Scott Roberson
• Sumter County Board of Education District 1: Alice Green (incumbent)
• Sumter County Board of Education District 3: J.C. “Jim” Reid (incumbent)
• Sumter County Board of Education District 5: Edith Green (incumbent) and Carolyn Hamilton
• Sumter County Judge of State Court: William Rambo (incumbent)
• Sumter County Board of Education, at large: John Edgemon and Marcus Arnett
Also, qualifying this week for the State House of Representatives were:
• Bardin Hooks
• Mike Cheokas
• Herschel Smith III
For State Senate District 15, incumbent Greg Kirk qualified, as did incumbent Freddie Powell Sims for District 12.
Early voting for the Non-Partisan General and Partisan Primaries is from 8 a.m.- 5 p.m. April 30-May 18, and also from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, May 18.
The Partisan General Election is Nov. 6.