Nancy M. Young: March 20, 2015
Published 10:30 am Saturday, March 21, 2015
Springtime Ellaville update
The Ellaville-Schley County Chamber of Commerce sponsors its annual Springtime Ellaville March 28 in downtown Ellaville.
All booths must be set up and ready for business by 7:30 a.m. and will open until 5 p.m. There will be entertainment all day and night.
• Paula Williams is chairman of the 50/50 drawing. Raffle tickets can be purchased at Gill Drugs Store and the Ellaville Floral Shop for $1 each. Tickets will be sold at the Chamber Booth the day of the event.
We will draw one ticket the night of Springtime Ellaville. The winner will receive half of the ticket sales. One lucky winner took home more than $600 last year. So plan to buy yourself a ticket or tickets.
• Color Run: Kay McCarty is chairman of the Color Run on March 20. At the Springtime Ellaville and first ever Color Run which is in keeping with the theme “Color Me Happy.” We will have a one-mile Walk/Run. The Color Run is for all ages. To pre-register forms may be downloaded from our Face Book “Springtime Ellaville” or you may pick one up at the Ellaville Floral Shop. Registration begins at 7:30-8:15 a.m. The one-mile walk/run begins at 8:30 a.m. followed by a 5K Walk/Run.
• Venders: Carol Streetman is chairman of the Venders Committee. Booths spaces are available for rent from the Ellaville-Schley County Chamber of Commerce. The spaces are on a first-come, first serve basis. Applications are available at Ellaville Floral Shop or you may call Carol Streetman at 937-2247 or the Chamber at 937-2262. They have a few booths left.
• Parade: Patti Wurtz is the chairman of the Parade Committee. Deadline for entries is March 21. The Parade is at 1 p.m. March 28. Please pick up entry forms at Ellaville Floral or call Patti at 938-5906 for more information. Forms maybe dropped off at the Floral Shop.
• Entertainment: Judy Eason McClellon, chairman, said entertainment will go on all day and into the night. The special band for that night is Brandon Wheelers Band. Everyone wants to hear him.
So please make plans to come and participate in all of the activities. Mark this on your calendar March 28. See you all there.
Ellaville-Schley County Historic Society holds membership meeting
On March 7, the Ellaville-Schley County Historical Society held its annual membership meeting at the Ellaville City Center. We had a lot of members to rejoin as well as a new member. We are receiving dues daily from members that are rejoining.
Many things were discussed, from recognizing members who work on special committees and projects, and members signed up to be on committees again this year. A report was given on the renovation of the Court House and what they are doing now in renovating at this time in the most historic building in the city and county.
The County will be putting three offices inside the Court House. Schley County Extension Office, the Ellaville -Schley County Chamber of Commerce and the Ellaville -Schley County Historical Society and Museum. The Extension Office will be open five days a week; the others will be open on a part-time basis.
It was announced that the historical society will be placing memorial and honor plaques in the Court House on the wall in the rotunda. These plaques will be placed in memory and honor of special people of your choice. You do not have to be a member of the historical society to place a name on either a plaque of the Memorial and Honor Wall to receive this special recognition for a family or friend.
If you would like to make a donation in memory or honor of someone, call 937-2116.
The table and chandelier was placed in the rotunda by the improvement association. The table and round rug were placed when Carita Mathews was president and the chandelier the next year when Nancy McMath Young was president.
The historical society is working to put some of the old antiques back inside the court house. The marble top table and chandelier are not antiques.
Remember any donations that are made to the historical society are tax-deductible. All money that is raised goes to preserve our history. If you are not a member we’d love to have you as a member. Call 937-2116. Please tell others about the Memorial and Honor Wall. Come by the historical society booth and check us out on March 28 at Springtime Ellaville. See you there.
Gospel sing at Ellaville Methodist Church
On Saturday, the Ellaville United Methodist Church sponsors a singing with the Homeland Boys of Flowery Branch. The singing begins at 7 p.m. Following the special musical there will be refreshments in the Social Hall. So tell your family and friends and come on out tomorrow night and join us. See you there.
Schley County High Drama Class to hold Murder Mystery
At 6:30 p.m. March 26, the Schley County High School Drama Class presents its annual murder mystery show in the high school lunchroom under the direction of Patti Wurtz.
The show is entitled “A Murderer’s Got Talent,” loosely based on the TV show “America’s Got Talent.” The class has written the script themselves and is inviting the community to come and see the funny production.
Tickets are $7 at the door; the office will have them for $5 pre-sale, beginning March 23. Pre-sale tickets may be purchased at the high school.
Following the show, appetizers and desserts will be served. Mark this on your calendar and please try to attend.
Schley Health Department has special announcement
On behalf of Karon Bush, District Program manager, has announced the Kristy Smith was offered and has accepted the position of Schley County Health Nurse. She will begin her new position on April 1. Go up to the Schley County Health Department and meet her if you don’t know her. We are so happy to have her as our Schley County Health Nurse.