Macon, Schley, Sumter counties offer free breast exams
COLUMBUS — Except for some types of skin cancer, breast cancer in the United States is:
• The most common cancer in women, no matter your race or ethnicity.
• The most common cause of death from cancer among Hispanic women.
• The second most common cause of death from cancer among white, black, Asian/Pacific Islander, and American Indian/Alaska Native women.
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, so protect your health by taking advantage of a FREE breast exam!
Free breast exams are being offered at the Macon County Health Department in Oglethorpe (478-472-8121) and the Sumter County Health Department (229-924-3637) in Americus today, Thursday and Friday; and at the Schley County Health Department (229-937-2208) in Ellaville Oct. 26-30.
Warning signs of breast cancer:
• A lump or pain in the breast.
• Thickening or swelling of part of the breast.
• Irritation or dimpling of breast skin.
• Redness or flaky skin on the breast.
• Pulling in of the nipple or pain in the nipple area.
• Fluid other than breast milk from the nipple, especially blood.
• A change in the size or the shape of the breast.
Early detection saves lives. Call today to schedule your FREE exam!