Police officer to receive commendation
By BETH ALSTON
AMERICUS — The monthly meeting of the Americus Mayor and City Council is at 5 p.m. Thursday at the Russell Thomas Jr. Public Safety Building.
Among the guests to be recognized is Americus Police Officer Jessica Monts who will receive a commendation for her handling of a situation on Sept. 9 on Earl Street. The officer responded to a domestic disturbance and found a man who was attempting suicide by hanging himself from a tree. According to information provided by Lt. Tim Green, Monts rushed to the man’s aid, remaining calm in a “high-pressure situation” and hoisted the man’s body in the air while maintaining radio contact with emergency responders and also directing bystanders in assiting to remove the man from the tree.
“Her quick thinking quite possibly saved the life of a citizen in distress.”
Mayor Barry Blount will administer the oath of office to Christopher Halstead and Nicholas Smarr to become officers with the Americus Police Department. He will also swear in Charles Christmas who has been appointed to the Historic Preservation Commission.
The mayor will recognize Honorary Council member Demetria Kearse-Brown and also present a proclamation in recognition of National Disability Employment Awareness.
The Council will consider the following matters.
• Staff has requested that the rules be suspended and the Fee Ordinance Amendment be approved doubling the alcohol licensing fees as follows: wine wholesale from $500 to $1,000; wind retail from $300 to $600; beer wholesale from $300 to $600, and beer retail from $250 to $500.
• Consider approving a payment of $16,690.73 for invoices from 2015 from the Sumter County Board of Commissioners.
• Consider authorizing the write-down of 2008 property taxes in the amount of $4,593.73.
• Consider approval of a new alcohol beverage license for Little Brothers Bistro, 133 W. Lamar St.
• Consider approval of a resolution accepting a utility line easement from BMK Properties, LLC in connection with serving St. John’s Anglican Church of Georgia Inc. for city utility services and other services.
• Consider an appointment to the Board of Zoning Appeals to fill the term of Jim Norris, who has resigned.
Americus-Sumter High School celebrated its August Students of the Month with a ‘Panther Brunch’ on Sept. 17 in the school’s... read more