Area beat: Nov. 30, 2016
Americus Fire & Emergency Services
• Firefighters responded to 41 calls for medical assistance
• Firefighters responded to a report of a possible structure fire on Hosanna Circle. It was a cooking fire in the oven, which was already extinguished.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm on Magnolia Street, which was activated by cooking.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm on GSW State University Drive. Upon arrival they found evacuation was underway. Campus police told them there was a smoke odor coming from the third floor near the elevator. The elevator was shut down by campus maintenance.
• Firefighters responded to a structure fire on Patton Drive. Upon arrival they found a shed burning and progressing near a wooded area. They extinguished the fire and saturated the surrounding area.
• Firefighters responded to Brookdale Drive to an outside rubbish fire. They found a rubbish fire in the back yard of a residence. The occupant told them there were some kids in the neighborhood playing with lighters and matches and set leaves and pine straw on fire. The fire reached part of the neighbor’s fence in the backyard before fire personnel extinguished it and any embers that had spread.
• Firefighters responded to Woodland Avenue and Denham Drive to a report of a transformer arcing. Upon arrival they found a fallen tree across the road.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm on Carver Street which was a result of leaving something on the stove.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident at Upper River Road and Crawford Street where they found a car entangled in briars and brush. They used hand tools and a chainsaw to gain access to the patient who was airlifted for treatment.
• Firefighters responded to a smoke detector on Peachtree Street caused by the occupant cleaning the house.
• Firefighters responded to Felder Street to a report of a smoke odor. Upon investigation they narrowed the problem to a heating unit with a tripped breaker.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident on East Lamar Street.