Area beat: March 15, 2017
Americus Fire & Emergency Services
• Firefighters responded to 24 calls for medical attention.
• Firefighters responded to Carravelle Boats, 111 Mathews Drive, Americus to a report of a structure fire. They found laminar smoke showing on the side of the building and a fire in the rear of the building. Employees informed then the fire had been extinguished. Inside, they found a 20’ x 20’ section burned up to the ceiling. They also checked for extension. Bystanders told them everyone was at lunch when they noticed smoke coming from the rear of the building. The “director” informed fire personnel that a fiberglass gun had been leaking but was unsure what ignited the fire.
• Firefighters responded to the Garden Lane area to a report of a strong gas odor. No hazards were found.
• Firefighters responded to East Hill Street to a report of a structure fire. The found that the fire, which had originated in the stove, had been extinguished. Damage extended from the stove along the back wall and into the cabinets. They ventilated the structure.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident on North Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.
• Firefighters responded to South Lee and East Church streets to a report of a vehicle fire. They extinguished a fire underneath the hood of a car.
• Firefighters responded to Laurel Circle to a report of a water heater fire. The occupant said her electricity was out when she arrived home and when she flipped her breaker box back on she had seen a small flame coming from the bottom of the water heater. Fire personnel found that the water had malfunctioned and shorted which flipped the breaker.
• Firefighters responded to a smoke alarm on West Dodson Street. The battery needed replacing, which they did.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm on North Lee Street. They learned, at the daycare, that alarm had been set off accidentally by a child. There was no fire.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident on East Forsyth Street.
Americus Police Department
• Donald L. Alford, 44, of Mobile, Ala., is charged with battery, and was jailed.
• Tyler I. Anderson, 22, of 392 Middle River Road, Americus is charged with misdemeanor theft by taking, and was jailed.
• Alford L. Ball, 50, of 183 Tallent Store Road, Americus is charged with cracked windshield, and driving while license is suspended or revoked.
• Michael T. Banks, 37, of 201 Wanda Way, Americus is charged with financial transaction card theft and financial transaction card fraud, and was jailed.
• Raphael M. Burns, 30, of 1109-A Oglethorpe Ave., Americus is charged with disorderly conduct, and was released on bond.
• Melvin L. Crook, 51, of 191 Ga. Highway 49 South, Americus was arrested on a warrant for probation violation, and was jailed.
• Jaylen T. Hill, 18, of 901 Douglas Circle, Americus is charged with misdemeanor theft by shoplifting.
• Nihicondra Q. Hollis, 29, of 113 Ga. Highway 27 East, C-4, Americus is charged with disorderly conduct.