Tourism and travel local events
Published 12:45 pm Wednesday, May 3, 2017
• Welcome Center from 5-8 p.m. Friday for a Cinco de Mayo party! Wear your most colorful threads and head on down to City Hall for free food, music, sales and a real photo booth —complete with printed out proof of the good time you had! All of our Americus made items will be 50 percent off! It’s May (d) In Americus and we want to celebrate with you!
• Saturday, May 6 – Tourism Scavenger Hunt (all week – Deadline to turn in May 12)
Looking for a fun way to explore Sumter County and potentially win big? Simply stop by the Welcome Center on Lamar Street in downtown Americus between May and May 12. Pick up the puzzle. Visit all of the places listed on the form. Get verification you were there (stamp or signature, pending on what the attraction wants to do!) Stop back by the Welcome Center and drop off your form. Your name will be entered into a drawing to win a mega gift basket from the Americus Welcome Center and the Americus Sumter Tourism Council.
• May 8 – Goin’ Nuts at the Welcome Center 3-4 p.m. They’re Goin’ Nuts at the Americus Welcome Center over how awesome the tourism industry is in Sumter County. Try free sample of fried peanuts and peanut butter ice cream.
• May 9 – Culinary Tour of Downtown Americus 10-11 a.m. Everyone is invited to a free downtown Americus Culinary Tour. Simple gather at the Americus Welcome Center at 9:45 a.m. and begin an hour-long walk around downtown. You will not only discover what is great in the dining scene, but you will also learn a little history about our community. This event is free and a delicious way to kick off your lunch break!
• May 10 –Agritourism at the Welcome Center 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Stop by the Americus Welcome Center and learn a little something about agritourism. See the products on sale in the Welcome Center and find out more about the spots in Sumter County and beyond that celebrate our farming culture!
• May 11 – Hotels in Sumter County – 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Planning a wedding, family reunion, or have friends coming in from out of town? Maybe you have considered visiting Americus & Sumter County, but aren’t sure where to stay? Visit the welcome center and learn about the facilities available!
• May 12 – Honoring the Tourism Industry – 11 a.m.-1 p.m. If you work in a hotel, restaurant, own a small shop, or work for an attraction, then stop by the Americus Welcome Center and be honored. Voting for the 2017 Tourism Awards will take place at this party! Party is open to tourism service industry professionals only. Bring identification and proof of your employment.