Carbon monoxide death in Americus

Published 3:10 pm Wednesday, September 20, 2017

By Beth Alston

AMERICUS — Although Sumter County sustained much property damage from Tropical Storm Irma, there was a single death.
Sumter County Coroner Greg Hancock confirmed that Eugene Carter Jr., 43, of 154 Sylvan Drive, Americus, was found dead around 1:30 p.m. Wednesday in his living room. Hancock said Carter’s cousin could not reach Carter by phone earlier that day so he went to Carter’s house and couldn’t get a response at the door. He saw Carter’s body through a window. Hancock said the cousin notified Carter’s mother and they went inside and notified emergency personnel.
The coroner said Carter died from carbon monoxide poisoning. A generator was found running in the laundry room. Carter had placed a towel underneath the door but the deadly gas leaked through and ultimately killed him.
The dangers of using a generator indoors are always stressed during natural disasters. Always use generators outside or in an open garage area.