Area beat: Sept. 27, 2017
Published 10:09 am Friday, September 29, 2017
Americus Fire & Emergency Services
NOTE: Firefighters responded to over 100 calls for fallen trees, power lines down, etc. over the course of Tropical Storm Irma and the day after.
• Firefighters responded to 38 calls for medical attention.
• Firefighters responded to a kitchen fire on Rogers Street. They found minor smoke coming for the structure, but upon entry, heavy smoke. In the kitchen, they found a pot left on the stove. Fire had extended to the range hood and had dripped down to the trash can beside the stove. They ventilated the structure for smoke removal.
• Firefighters responded to Daniel Street where they found a large tree limb hanging on a power line. Georgia Power arrived and removed the limb.
• Firefighters responded to Hosanna Circle to a smoke alarm. They replaced the alarm with a new one.
• Firefighters went to another location on Hosanna Circle to place two smoke detectors in a residence.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident at West Church and Forrest streets.
• Firefighters went to Lorraine Avenue to assist the Americus Police Department in gaining entry for a welfare check.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm on East Lester Street where they found a faulty smoke detector.
• Firefighters responded to a building fire on East Lester Street.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident on North Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm at Dolls Little Haven, 514 N. Lee St. Some had pulled the pull station; there was no fire.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm on Maple Street. They found the residence filled with smoke and found something smoldering on the stove. They removed it and ventilated the structure.
• Firefighters responded to Crawford Street to a report of wires down. Americus Police was on site controlling traffic and a citizen removed the cable line from the street.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm at Habitat for Humanity, 127 S. Hampton St. No hazards were found.
• Firefighters responded to a report of wires down at Rawley and O’Hara roads.
• Firefighters stood by at football games at Americus-Sumter High School and Southland Academy.
• Firefighters responded to a trash pile fire on Sharon Circle. They extinguished it.
• Firefighters responded to Wanda Way where their extinguished a small brush fire of pine straw and grass on the roadside.
• Firefighters responded to a vehicle fire on Peachtree Street, which is under investigation.
Americus Police Department
Arrests (Aug. 21-23)
• Ira Carter, 64, of 119-A Hanson Drive, Americus; aggravated assault.
• Jermerico K. Ford, 17, of 408 Pine St., Americus; aggravated battery; jailed.
• Noel I. Gonzalez, 37, of 270 Indian Road, Americus; seat belt violation, driving while license is suspended or revoked and giving false name/address/birth date to law enforcement officer; jailed.