Americus mayor, council to meet Thursday
By Beth Alston
AMERICUS — The Americus Mayor and City Council meet at 5 p.m. Thursday for the regular monthly session.
Council member Daryl Dowdell will introduce his honorary council member, Kyle Heath and the mayor will present a proclamation in recognition of Heath’s service.
One Sumter is again scheduled to present the mayor and council with a check.
A representative from GAWWA will present the City of Americus with an award.
The mayor will present Ayden Mercer Battle with a proclamation.
Cecil Horne, a resident of Jones Lane, has requested to speak to the mayor and council concerning David Street and his neighborhood, and permission was granted.
A representative of the Land Bank Authority will present an update.
Kathie Mercer has requested to speak to mayor and council about inappropriate behavior of police officers who visited her home, and permission was granted.
Jeruth Scott has requested to speak to mayor and council about a traffic problem at Magnolia Village.
Sam Mahone, chairman of the Americus-Sumter County Movement Committee Inc., has requested to speak to mayor and council concerning an addition to the Downtown Historic District.
Items on the agenda include the following.
• Consider approving a resolution authorizing the filing of an application with the Georgie Department of Transportation and the U.S. Department of Transportation for a grant for public transportation assistance under the Federal Transit Laws.
• Consider approving the insurance provider for the firefighters’ cancer insurance offered to eligible firefighters in compliance with HB 147 which become effective Jan. 1.
• Consider approving the health insurance provider and covered for 2018.
• Consider approving the change of managers from Shital Patel to Dimpalhen T. Patel for the same of beer off premise at Pepo Food.
• Consider authorizing the mayor or his designee to sign all documents related to the Arista contract for mailing utility bills.
There are also several appointments on the agenda.
• The term of Sybil Smith on the Payroll Development Authority expires Dec. 31, and is a five-year term.
• The term of Thomas Jordan on the Americus/Sumter Tourism Council expires Dec. 31, and is a two-year term.
• The term of Diyah Patel on the Americus/Sumter Tourism Council expires on Dec. 31, and is a two-year
• The term of Cori Lyman-Barner on the Americus Theater and Cultural Center Authority expires Dec. 31, and is a four-year term and a mayoral appointment.
• The term of Clair Simmerson on the Andersonville Trail expires Dec. 31, and is an annual appointment.
• The term of Nelson Brown on the River Valley Regional Commission expires Dec. 31, and is an annual appointment.
• The term of Shirley Reese on the Sumter County Board of Health expires Dec. 31, and is an annual appointment.