• 84°

Area beat: Dec. 2, 2017

Americus Fire & Emergency Services

(Nov. 22-Dec.1)

• Firefighters responded to 38 calls for medical assistance.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm at Magnolia Manor, 2001 S. Lee St. It was activated by burned toast in the dining room.
• Firefighters responded to King’s Way to a report of a possible structure fire. It was ascertained that the call was made by someone with mental illness. There were no hazards.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident at South Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and West Forsyth Street.
• Firefighters responded to Hampton Inn, 1609 W. Lamar St., to a report of a structure fire. They found a soft drink machine on the third floor smoking. It was disconnected and not on fire.
• Firefighters stood by at Americus-Sumter High School for a football game.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident at Judy Lane and Rose Avenue.
• Firefighters responded to Souther Field Road and Madison Street to a report of a possible brush fire. The extinguished it.
• Firefighters responded to Murphy Mill Road to a stove fire. There was no fire but they found an overheated heating element.
• Firefighters responded to Harvey’s, 1206 Crawford St., to a water leak in a water fountain. They removed the outside cover and turned the water off.
• Firefighters responded to a wire down on Sharon Drive. The notified Mediacom.
• Firefighters responded to Cotton Avenue to a gas leak. The occupant told them the oven door blew off when she turned it on. The gas department was notified.
• Firefighters responded to Brannan Avenue to a report of heavy smoke. They found someone burning leaves in their backyard. They were advised of the city’s no-burn policy.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm on Bumphead Road. It was accidental.
•  Firefighters responded to a traffic accident on South Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm on Pinecrest Drive. It was activated by cooking and there was no fire.
• Firefighters responded to Crawley Street to an illegal burn. They extinguished a barrel burn in the front yard of a residence. The later returned to the lot next door to extinguish it again. They returned once more to extinguish remaining embers.