• 73°

Area beat: Jan. 20, 1018

Americus Fire & Emergency Services
(Jan. 12-18)

• Firefighters responded to 29 calls for medical assistance.
• Firefighters responded to Brookdale Drive to install new batteries in smoke detectors.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident on East Forsyth Street.
• Firefighters responded to a vehicle fire at Railroad and Mayo streets which remains under investigation.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm on Madison Street. No hazards were found.
• Firefighters responded to a vehicle fire on East Lamar Street. They extinguished it.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm at Austin Urethane at 122 Crisp Drive. No hazards were found.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm on Madison Street which was activated by cooking.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident at Southerfield Road and Horton Drive.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm at the Sumter County Courthouse, 500 W. Lamar St. It was activated during testing of alarm and sprinkler system.
• Firefighters responded to Allen Street to a report of a smoke odor. No hazards were found.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident on South Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.
• Firefighters responded to Pine Avenue to a report of an odor of something burning inside a residence. They determined the odor was coming from the HVAC system.
• Firefighters responded to the Sumter County Health Department, 1601 N. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., to an alarm. It was determined that an employee pulled the alarm when they smelled some. No hazards were found.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident involving a pedestrian at Tripp and Furlow streets.
• Firefighters responded to Jackson Avenue to a structure fire. Upon arrival, they saw visible flames coming from the window and light smoke. After extinguishing it, they found melted candle wax which had caused the fire by dripping on the wood burning stove pipe.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm on West Dodson Street. The occupant’s carbon monoxide alarm was sounding. An investigation indicated carbon monoxide throughout the residence. They shut off the natural gas meter and advised occupant to have heating unit inspected.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm at the Sumter County Agricultural Center, 127 William Bowen Pointe. It was activated while testing.