• 81°

Area beat: March 7, 2018

Americus Fire & Emergency Services

• Firefighters responded to 103 calls for medical assistance.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident at East Lamar and Rees streets.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm at Canes Cleaners, 1558 E. Forsyth St. which was accidentally activated by drywall dust.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident on East Lamar Street.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident at South Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and Magnolia Street.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm at Urban Bar and Lounge, 122 N. Jackson St. It was a false alarm.
• Firefighters responded to a report of a structure fire on Lexington Circle. Upon arrival, they saw flames coming out of the front windows and heavy smoke coming from the structure, a single-wide mobile home.
• Firefighters responded to Lonnie Lane to a report of a space heater on fire. They found the water heater had caught fire but had been extinguished by the occupant prior to their arrival. They found that the drain valve in the appliance had melted off causing the water to drain from the tank.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident on East Lamar Street.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm on Sharon Circle which was activated by a construction crew sanding.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm at Old Biscayne Designs, 123 Industrial Blvd. which was activated when an employee keyed in the wrong code.
• Firefighters responded to Wheatley Street where they assisted another governmental agency.
• Firefighters responded to Weeks Mobile Home Park, 916 N. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., to a report of a fire hydrant being compromised. Public Works was advised.
• Firefighters responded to Brannan Avenue to gain entry to a structure at the request of the Americus Police Department. They entered through a rear window.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm on East Glessner St. which was activated by cooking.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm on Brinson Street where they found a small fire in the kitchen area which was put out prior to their arrival. The occupant told them she was tried to warm coffee on the stove and used a shirt to pick up the hot pot and the shirt caught fire.
• Firefighters responded to South Hampton Street to a report of a gas odor. The gas company was notified.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm at the Sumter County Agriculture Center, 127 William Bowen Pointe. It was a false alarm.
• Firefighters responded to Church’s Chicken, 1322 E. Lamar St., to a report of gas odor. They found no hazards.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident on East Lamar Street.
• Firefighters responded to Bush Circle to assist the Americus Police Department in finding a person. Firefighters used a TIC camera and attic ladder.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident at West College and Forest streets.
• Firefighters responded to Hancock Drive in reference to a carbon monoxide odor. No hazards were found.
• Firefighters responded to Barbara Battle Way to a report of a structure fire. They found no fire but that the heating element on the oven was bad.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm on Harris Street which was activated by a dirt smoke detector.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm at Central Baptist Church, 190 Upper River Road. It was a false alarm caused by a child pulling the alarm.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm at Americus Bargain and Treasures, 1114 E. Lamar St. The owner told them the alarm had activated after incense had been ignited.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident at East Forsyth and Prince streets.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm at the Sumter County Courthouse, 500 W. Lamar St., which was activated by maintenance personnel servicing the system.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm on U.S. Highway 280 West which was activated by steam from the oven.
• Firefighters responded to a report of a power line down at Patton and Morris drives. They found a tree lying across the roadway with power lines lying across the road. Georgia Power was notified.
• Firefighters responded to Heads Avenue to a grease fire which had been put out prior to their arrival.
• Firefighters responded to 131 Finn St., to a report of a structure fire. They found smoke coming from the structure which was vacant.
• Firefighters responded to 141 Finn St., to a report of a structure fire.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm on East Jefferson Street which was activated by a dryer in use.
• Firefighters responded to Rucker Street to a report of a dumpster fire. They found a barrel of fire about eight feet away from the structure.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident on Brady Road.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm on Town Creek Circle which was triggered by cooking.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm at Southwest Georgia Farm Credit, 1037 E. Forsyth St. Someone painting in the building accidentally set off the alarm.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident at South Lee Street and Rose Avenue.
• Firefighters responded to the Sumter County Health Department, 1601 N. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. It was a false alarm, caused by a child pulling the alarm.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm at Urban Bar and Lounge, 122 N. Jackson St. which was triggered by smoking cigarettes.
• Firefighters responded to a vehicle v. pedestrian accident on North Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm at Central Baptist Church, 190 Upper River Road, which had been triggered by a fog machine.
• Firefighters responded to North Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard at the request of the Americus Police Department to wash down the roadway.
• Firefighters responded to Reddick Drive to a report of a vehicle with smoke coming out of it. They found smoke coming from the head liner area next to the interior light. They found a wire that had come loose.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident on East Lamar Street.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident at North Lee and Prince streets.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident at South Lee and East Furlow streets.
• Firefighters responded to East Furlow Street to a report of a kitchen fire. The cooking fire on the stove had been extinguished prior to their arrival.
• Firefighters responded to a report of wires down on Montgomery Street. The noticed a low hanging wire going across the street. Mediacom was notified.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm on Lonnie Lane. They found that the occupants had extinguished a cooking pan fire.
• Firefighters responded to a carbon monoxide alarm on Bessie Mays Circle. They found that the batteries were low, and replaced them.
• Firefighters responded to Dodson Street to a report of gas odor. No hazards were found.
• Firefighters responded to Millard Fuller Boulevard and West Church Street to a traffic accident.

Georgia State Patrol Post 10, Americus

Arrests
• Bruce W. Brown, 44, of Richland; driving while license is suspended or revoked, and failure to dim lights; released bond. (Dec. 22)
• Jaron Coleman, 38, of Oakfield; DUI and seat belt violation; released on bond. (Dec. 22, 2017)
• Cornelius R. Colwell, 23, of 508 Lindsey Lane, Americus; second-degree criminal damage to property, and driving while license is suspended or revoked; jailed. (Dec. 22, 2017)
• Constancio L. Diaz, 28, of 803 Fairfield Ave., Americus; DUI, open container and driving while unlicensed; jailed. (Dec. 22)

Sumter County Sheriff’s Office

Arrests
• Leonardo Davinci Bateman, 34, of 116 Town Creek Circle, Americus; misdemeanor possession of marijuana and possession of a drug-related object; released on bond. Dec. 23, 2017)
• Larry D. Chittum, 51, of 285 Ga. Highway 30, Lot A, Americus; disorderly conduct; released on time served. (Dec. 23, 2017)
• Leonardo Hernandez, 34, of 480 Ga. Highway 27 East, Americus; DUI; jailed. (Dec. 24)