Carter Center benefit auction planned
Published 10:24 am Wednesday, June 20, 2018
ATLANTA — A lock of President John F. Kennedy’s hair, an original oil painting by President Jimmy Carter, a photograph of five U.S. presidents signed by each, and other presidential memorabilia are just a few of the items to be auctioned on June 30 to benefit the not-for-profit Carter Center. Proceeds will support the Center’s work to advance peace and health across the globe.
President Carter and his wife, former first lady Rosalynn Carter, will join invited friends and supporters for the auction and other activities during a five-day retreat June 27-July 1 at the Skamania Lodge in Washington state. Live and silent auction catalogs of the items, as well as instructions for bidding by fax or proxy, can be found here:
Bidders have a chance to win a one-week escape to the chic Saint-Remy-de-Provence, France, where they’ll stay in a four-bedroom home a short walk from the city’s center. They also have the opportunity to purchase a winery tour at George Lucas’ Skywalker Vineyard, which opened in 2017. The vineyard, which is not open to the public, makes its wines entirely from estate-grown grapes.
Other notable items include:
• A gold, diamond, and ruby jewelry set, including ring, earrings, necklace, and bracelet.
• A collection of 13 books by or about former first ladies and signed by each.
• Rare and original Walt Disney animation cels.
• Three autographed guitars signed by rock legends Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, Gregg
• Allman of The Allman Brothers Band, and Chris Stapleton.
• An authentic and well-used pair of President Carter’s running shoes, signed and framed.
• A fabulous vacation to Hawaii with airfare provided by Delta Air Lines.
• An original quill signature of President Abraham Lincoln with family lithograph.
• A gorgeous original Ralph Steadman silkscreen of famed journalist Hunter S. Thompson.
• A private concert with Peter Yarrow of Peter, Paul and Mary; he will fly to you thanks to Delta Air Lines.
• Hand-crafted quilts by artist Suzanne McMahon.
• A unique set of three autographed baseballs from Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, and Barry Bonds.
• A collection of images, some signed by Elvis Presley and Richard Nixon.
• A private cocktail reception and movie screening with former CEO of Paramount Pictures Sherry Lansing at her house, with air transportation provided by Delta Air Lines.
• Classic handmade chairs by talented woodworker Russ Filbeck.
• A gorgeous gold and opal brooch handcrafted by designer and goldsmith Ben Dyer.
• Very limited vintage delicious honey cultivated from our apiaries at The Carter Center, paired with a bottle of wine made and signed by President Carter.
• A breathtaking handmade wooden bowl by wood artisan Matt Moulthrop.
• And many more exciting, rare, and exquisite items.
Since the annual event’s inception, Carter Center Weekend auctions have raised more than $24 million to support the Center’s work. Donation proceeds support activities of The Carter Center, a 501(c)(3) charitable organization.