Area beat: Feb. 20, 2019
Published 10:22 am Wednesday, February 20, 2019
Americus Fire & Emergency Services
• Firefighters responded to 39 calls for medical assistance.
• Firefighters responded to a traffic accident on Dixon Drive.
• Firefighters responded to Eastview Circle to a report of a possible structure fire. The smoke was cause by an overheated HVAC unit.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm on Town Creek Circle. Smoke caused from cooking activated the smoke alarm; there was no fire.
• Firefighters responded to Glory Court to a report of a gas odor in the area. The stove’s plot light was found to be out when they arrived. After unsuccessfully trying to relight it, the notified the city gas department.
• Firefighters responded to Chevron Food Mart, 1402 N. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., to a report of a possible structure fire. Sumter County Fire & Rescue was on scene. Heavy smoke was inside the structure which had been evacuated. The structure was ventilated and employees were to have the fryer checked out.
• Firefighters responded to West Church Street to a gas smell. The structure was evacuated. They checked for natural gas but registered nothing. The city gas department was notified.
• Firefighters responded to a report of a tree in the roadway on Mary Blount Drive. They found a large limb across one lane of traffic, and removed it.
• Firefighters were dispatched to a medical emergency on Eastview Circle, but no incident was found.
• Firefighters responded to a building fire on Ridge Street.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm on Brookdale Drive. Occupants told them the alarm was activated by burning food on a stove.
• Firefighters responded to Brookdale Drive to a report of an electrical panel box sparking. They were told upon arrival by the resident that the stove sparked, followed by the stove’s rbealer and main breaker tripping. Georgia Power was notified.
Americus Police Department
• Shameka L. Berry, 32, of 517-A Bessie Mays Circle, Americus; misdemeanor driving while license is suspended or revoked. (2-12-19)
• Louis M. Hurley, 40, of 192 Forrest Park Road, Americus; misdemeanor driving while license is suspended or revoked, and expired registration. (2-13-19)
• Johnny Robinson, 61, of 705 Beale St., Americus; misdemeanor battery (Family Violence Act); jailed. (2-13-19)
Georgia State Patrol Post 10, Americus
• Kimberly L. Jones, 36, of 101-A Bush Circle, Americus; driving while unlicensed, and open container; released on bond. (2-13-19)
Sumter County Sheriff’s Office
• Joshua T. Foster, 22, of Albany; felony probation violation; jailed. (2-12-19)
• Dquan S. Thomas, 22, of 118 Long Drive, Smithville; felony failure to appear in court for a finger printable charge; jailed. (2-13-19)
• Michael K. Underwood, 41, of 309 W. Church St., Plains; felony aggravated assault against law enforcement officer; released on bond. (2-13-19)
• Taurus C. Wright, 23, of 265 Church St., Smithville; theft by taking and misdemeanor failure to appear in court on a finger printable charge; jailed. (2-13-19)
• Courtney Moore, 28, of 416 W. Furlow St., Americus; speeding. (2-11-19)
• Angelita M. Neal, 60, Of 366 Cora Drive, Ellaville; expired or no registration or title. (2-8-19)
• Plezy L. Nelson, 67, of 409 Sheffield St., Americus; speeding (80 mph in a 55 zone). (2-2-19)
• Lacedric Powell, 22, of 128-B Fairway Drive, Americus; speeding. (2-1-19)