Original paintings, handcrafted chest by Jimmy Carter to be auctioned to benefit The Carter Center
Published 12:39 pm Wednesday, June 26, 2019
LEESBURG, Va. — Photographs of five U.S. presidents signed by each, original oil paintings, and a handcrafted cedar chest by U.S. President Jimmy Carter are among more than 150 items to be auctioned on June 29 to benefit the not-for-profit Carter Center. Proceeds will support the Center’s work to advance peace and health across the globe.
The event will be part of a five-day retreat for Center supporters June 26-30 at the Lansdowne Resort and Spa in Leesburg, Virginia. Live and silent auction catalogs of the items, as well as instructions for bidding by fax or proxy, can be found here.
Bidders have the chance to win a seven-night vacation to picturesque Destin, Florida, where they’ll stay in a luxury beachfront condo, partake in a one-hour sightseeing tour in a vintage 1951 Cessna airplane, and receive a professional photography session on the beach. They also have the opportunity to own a signed oak barrel that housed single estate old South Georgia rum that President Carter helped to produce during a visit to the Richland Distilling Company; a dozen 750-ml bottles of the cask-strength “Spirit of Georgia” are included.
Additional noteworthy items include:
- A private fishing tour and dinner for four with Fabio; two-night stay at the Skamania Lodge, $2,000 Delta Airlines gift card, and round-trip ground transportation from airport included
- An exquisite Hermès Birkin bag made from genuine ostrich leather
- An autographed photo of former president Jimmy Carter with Hall of Famer Hank Aaron after the latter broke Babe Ruth’s home run record
- A one-of-a-kind lightweight performance fishing boat with seating for two
Incredible hand-turned and crafted wooden bowls by Mike Snegg featuring stunning marbling with a smooth-as-glass finish
- Vacations to Hawaii, France, and Martha’s Vineyard
- A signed photo of former presidents Jimmy Carter and George H.W. Bush in 1989
- A signed deluxe boxed set of U2’s “Songs of Experience” album along with an art print created by lead singer Bono
- An impressive black 12-string Takamine guitar signed by all members of Bon Jovi
Carter Center Weekend auctions support activities of The Carter Center, a 501(c)(3) charitable organization.