School board takes care of business, plans called meeting
Published 5:11 pm Monday, July 15, 2019
By Beth Alston
AMERICUS — The Sumter County Board of Education (BOE) held its monthly meeting Thursday. Board member Sylvia Roland was absent.
They took the following action.
- Approved the logo for the Ignite College & Career Academy.
- Approved the financial report for June, along with accounts payable and the preliminary cash flow report. Finance Committee chair, Jim Reid, had reported at the board work session that the general fund contains $9.7 million and the rolling revenue from SPLOST is $315,146 per month. The school nutrition department has $1.6 million in its checking out and a net worth of approximately $1.9 million.
- Approved waiving the 30-tabling on three policies: employee tobacco use, promotion and retention, and school admissions. They also approved revisions to the 2019-2020 school handbooks.
- Approved purchase of licenses for Office 365 for all students and staff for FY 2020 in the amount of $17,992.56.
- Approved renewal of agreement between Sumter County BOE, Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia, and Georgia Southwestern State University for field and clinical experiences.
- Approved renewal of agreement between Sumter County BOE, Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia, on behalf of the University of Georgia Cooperative Extension Service (4-H agent).
- Approved renewal of agreement between Sumter County BOE, Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia, and Columbus State University for professional laboratory experiences.
- Approved agreement between the school system and the Boys & Girls Clubs of Albany starting a program at Sumter County Middle School.
- Approved the following personnel matters.
— Release from Contract: Valerie Trice
— Resignation: Wanda Busbee
— Employments: Johnny White, Latashia McClaster, Nancy Midimmo-Cullins, Charity Williams, Deirdre Hansley, Sherlanda Fulks, Christy McNamara
— Third Party Contracts: Jyothi Potluri (Intalage), Raksa Tahiyat (Intalage), Vijay Sunkaranam (Interlage)
The board will be calling a special meeting later in the month for the purpose of deciding on the renewal of the charter for Furlow Charter School, and the choose the power supplier for the new high school.