Area beat: July 27, 2019
Published 11:45 am Sunday, July 28, 2019
Americus Fire & Emergency Services
• Firefighters responded to 26 calls for medical assistance.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm on Harvey Lane. It was a false alarm.
• Firefighters responded to a report of wires down on East College Street. They found a large limb stretched across the roadway with a power line down along the sidewalk. They blocked traffic and notified Georgia Power Co. They cut up the limb and removed it from the roadway.
• Firefighters responded to Magnolia Manor Nursing Center, 2001 S. Lee St., to what turned out to be a malicious false alarm.
• Firefighters responded to Pine Avenue to a report of wires over the street. They found a cable line which had been torn down by someone using a 24-ft. U-Haul truck, also resulting in damage to the electrical wires coming the service pole. They removed cable lines from the street.
• Firefighters responded to the Southwestern Judicial Circuit District Attorney’s Office, 506 W. Lamar St, to a report of a possible structure fire. Occupants said they had smelled burning wires. They used thermal imaging to locate an overheated light ballast. They shut power off and advised occupants to contact an electrician.
• Firefighters responded to Magnolia Manor, 2001 S. Lee St., to an alarm which had been activated by construction dust. There were no hazards found.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm on Academy Street which was activate by the occupant attempting to change the codes.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm at Old Biscayne Designs, 123 Industrial Blvd. The alarm had been activated by a loss of power. No hazards were found.
• Firefighters responded to a vehicle fire on East Lamar Street. They extinguished it.
• Firefighters responded to a report of a possible structure fire at Hancock Funeral Home, 427 S. Lee St. Sumter County Fire & Rescue arrived first and were pulling down siding. Power was cut off. SCFR used a water can to extinguish a hot spot that had charred a 2 x 4 due to wires arcing. In the attic, they pulled drywall and found no hazards.
• Firefighters responded to an alarm on Town Hall Circle. It was a system malfunction.