City to vote on millage rate
Published 9:24 am Thursday, September 19, 2019
By Beth Alston
AMERICUS — The third and final public hearing will be held during the regular monthly meeting of the mayor and city council at 6 p.m. Thursday at the Russell Thomas Jr. Public Safety Building. The millage rate is being raised to 13.12 mills.
On the consent agenda for Thursday’s meeting are the following.
- Consider becoming a Tree City U.S.A. Community.
- Approve spending $24,420 for a bikeway implementation study for key bicycle corridors as part of a project passed by the voters of Sumter County in the 2014 SPLOST.
- Approve a resolution accepting an APGA Mutual Aid Agreement.
- Approve a resolution authorizing expenditure ($19,016) for the Rylander Theatre using SPLOST funds.
- Accept a bid of $27,582 from Sunbelt Ford to purchase a V8 long bed 4×4 (half-ton) truck for the Public Works Water and Sewer Department.
- Accept bid to purchase MXU and Pearl cables for the Public Works Water and Sewer Department.
- Approve name change of Flash Foods to Circle K at 1533 S. Lee St.
- Approve name change of Flash Foods to Circle K at 1101 Crawford St.
- Approve transfer of property at 1031 Westside Drive to the Land Bank Authority.
- Approve closing the 2014 CDBG matching bank account at Citizens Bank of Americus with remaining funds to be deposited into the General Fund.
- Approve a resolution opening a 2019 CHIP bank account at Synovus bank.
On the agenda are the following items.
- Consider establishing an ordinance to create the Keep Americus Beautiful Commission. Staff requests that the rules be suspended and action taken this month.
- Consider approving an ordinance to establish the 2019 millage rate of 13.12.
- Discussion of a revenue bond consideration.
In other business, Council member Nelson Brown will recognize Brookdale Park community service. The mayor will present two proclamations: National Clean Up Day and National Surgical Technologist Week.