Schley County Family Connection Collaborative update
Published 9:31 am Thursday, September 19, 2019
ELLAVILLE — John Greene, coordinator of Schley County Family Connection Collaborative, gives an update on what’s going on in the organization.
• The Schley County Family Connection Collaborative will meet at noon Sept. 26 at Ellaville Baptist Church. Rodney Wall, resource officer for the Schley County School System, will discuss his new position and security measures within the school system. Alex Hadley, Communities Heart to Heart Inc. in Buena Vista, will discuss two grants the organization received recently with the help of Schley County Family Connection.
• Schley County Family Connection is working with Making a Difference in Ellaville (M.A.D.E.) to secure grant funding for a summer youth program at the John Lewis Resource Center. The program would coincide with the Summer Cafe held at the center during the months of May, June, and July.
• Flu season is here! Please contact Kristy Smith, nurse manager, Schley County Public Health Department, to schedule flu shots. A flu shot is covered under most insurance policies. For older adults, it’s also a good time to check on renewing pneumonia shots.
• Two grants are up for renewal next year through the collaborative. They include a $5,000 grant for the Schley Community Foundation and a $5,000 grant to renew the Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD) chapter at Schley County Middle/High School. Both grants have a three-year renewal cycle. More information will follow.
• September is Kinship Care Month. Extended family members and nonrelative caregivers often play a significant role in caring for children when their parents are having a difficult time. These kinship caregivers offer a healthy, safe, and loving environment for vulnerable children who may have experienced trauma, neglect or parental loss. All of us know a grandparent or family member that needs support to raise relative children.