Investigation into beating of GSW student still on going

Published 1:54 pm Monday, November 4, 2019

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

By Ken Gustafson


AMERICUS, GA – Both the Georgia Southwestern State University (GSW) campus police and the Americus Police Department (APD) are investigating the beating of a 22-year-old GSW student that took place shortly after midnight on Friday morning, November 1, at an off-campus location.

Tyler Ellis, a junior political science major from Moultrie, was attacked and severely beaten by a group of men as he was leaving a fraternity Halloween party on William B. King Dr. near the GSW campus.

According to Ellis’s mother, Stephanie Wyatt Ellis, he was leaving the party and saying goodbye to his friends when he was attacked. “Obviously, he didn’t see who attacked him because they caught him from behind and the initial blow was what knocked him out and rendered him unconscious,” Mrs. Ellis said. She went on to say that according to police reports and witnesses, her son’s attackers continued to assault him, causing numerous severe injuries. According to Mrs. Ellis, after Ellis was knocked unconscious, some of his friends tried to get him up, but GSW Campus Police Chief Mike Tracy told them not to move him and that an ambulance was on its way.

Ellis was transported to Phoebe Sumter Medical Center for treatment. “He had massive bleeding. He was unconscious. They did some scans that revealed the brain bleed,” Mrs. Ellis said. She went on to say that the doctors at Phoebe Sumter told her that Tyler suffered head trauma and bleeding on the brain and had to be transported to a trauma facility. Ellis was transported to Navicent Health Center in Macon, where he is recovering from numerous injuries to the head, brain and face.

“He has a skull fracture. He had two areas of brain bleed in the brain…two separate areas,” Mrs. Ellis said. “I believe his skull is fractured in two different places. He’s got multiple facial fractures, including nasal fracture in many places, not just one little bone. He’s also got a periorbital fracture. He’s lost hearing in his left ear. He’s also suffering from extreme headaches and dizziness.”

She went on to say that in spite of his injuries, Ellis is doing remarkably well and that there is a possibility that he could go home on Monday. A Go Fund Me page has been set up by family members. To contribute, go to and search for Justice For Tyler.

Stay tuned to the Americus Times-Recorder for any updated information concerning this case.